Our History

 


Martin Luther King, Jr., is credited with the quote: "We are not makers of history; we are made by history". This certainly holds true in review of the past account of The Community Of Faith Church. With anointed men of God as leaders who operated in faith and prayer who possessed voices of vision and courage who were guided by the Bible and focused on the Kingdom..we are now carriers of the torch. We are challenged to serve this present age and to be bridge-builders for generations unborn.

The humble establishment of Mount Pillow church occurred on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou in 1873, by way of the visionary voice of Pastor Jack Henry Yates. This church was blessed with several dynamic leaders, among whom was Pastor Charlie Daniel James Dixon, who was installed in 1927. He served the church faithfully and provided much needed stability during times that were economically depressed and socially oppressed.

In 1949, the congregation followed their pastor in relocation from the corner of State and Hemphill Street to 5309 Feagan. For a time, worship was held under a tent prior to building construction. Due to membership and ministry growth, the wood framed structure was expanded and remodeled. In 1974 the mortgage was burned. In 1978 Pastor Charlie Daniel James Dixon entered eternal rest, following over 50 years of monumental ministry service. Before his demise, he shared his recommendation that Pastor Clovis E. Johnson would become his replacement. Therefore, in 1978, the church called Pastor Johnson to fill the vacancy.
1 2 3 4
  
follow community of faith on
needprayeregivingdominion