Our History

 


HISTORY OF GREATER ST. JOHN MER CHURCH

Bishop B.F. Jackson was ordained by Rev. Buckman at Zion Baptist Church Avon Ave. Newark, NJ in 1956.  He then led the congregation for one year at St. Jude Church in Paterson, NJ.  IN the 1957 he moved the church to Jones St. in Newark, NJ.  In 1966 the church changed its name to Faith Chapel soon after that he moved to Belmont Ave. Newark, NJ.

In 1967 the church joined the charter of the St. John Methodist Episcopal Reformed Church in Elizabeth, NJ incorporated in 1951 under the leadership of the late Bishop Estus Quincy Ransom Taylor.

Early during Bishop Jackson pastoring at St. John M.E.R. Church 515 E. Jersey St. Elizabeth, NJ, and God gave Bishop a vision for a new location where the sanctuary would be located on the second floor.  When Bishop saw the location, he saw what God had showed him in the vision.  Bishop worked four years on renovations along with a team of three dedicated men and the late Betty Jackson hauling supplies for the new building.

In 1978 Bishop's vision had been completed, the church marched from 515 E. Jersey St. and he was elevated to Senior Bishop & Pastor. In October 1982 the church burnt the mortgage; the mortgage is paid in full.

March 28, 2010 Bishop Jackson's son Rev. Earnest Jackson was installed as Pastor of St. John M.E.R. Church.  Under the leadership of Rev. Earnest Jackson, September 16, 2010, the church name was changed to Greater St. John Methodist Episcopal Reformed Church.