The late Reverend H. E. Taylor, who was a layman at the time, founded Mill Creek Baptist Church
in 1883. The congregation worshipped in a building located on Old
Garners Ferry Road on the property of Mr. Nick Caughman. The first
building was started in 1887 under the leadership of Reverend John Green
and construction was completed in 1894.
Prior to the calling of Reverend
Frank M. Young, the following ministers served as pastor: Reverend
William M. Lowman, Reverend William Thompson and Reverend Broadus.
Reverend Frank M. Young served for over forty years. Under his
leadership land was purchased from Epworth Orphanage. Deacon Alvin
Williams and Deacon Sidney White conducted fundraisers to purchase the
first acre of land, where the church sat in 1942. The trustees signing
the deed for this purchase were: Mr. Allen Rose, Mr. Ernest White, Mr.
Jerry Isaac and Mr. Edgar Williams. In 1968, the church was moved from
Mr. Caughman's land to its present site and the exterior was bricked in
1969. In 1974, Dr. Alfred Burnside donated the steeple atop the old
sanctuary in memory of the late Annie Williams.
In 1977, Reverend Blakely N.
Scott, III was called to serve as pastor. At that time the church began
its revitalization in membership, which had dwindled over the years.
Under his administration worship service was held at an earlier hour and
every Sunday. In 1979, construction began on the Educational Building
and was completed in 1980.
On December 30, 1979, Reverend
James M. Wilson was installed as pastor and continued the building of
the church until his departure in 1992. During his tenure, the church
was incorporated and re-furnished along with the purchase of many other
items for serving the Lord in comfort.
In 1993, Reverend W. Bernard
Sumter was called and continues to lead the congregation. Under his
leadership the church has undergone growth in membership, property
acquisition, ministries and countless testimonies of faith. On July 21,
1996, groundbreaking services were held for our present sanctuary in
which construction was completed in 1997. In December of 1999, we
dedicated our new banquet hall to the Lord. Since then our ministerial
staff has grown to include the following offices (1st Assistant to the
Senior Pastor, Elders and Ministers) under the leading of our Senior
Pastor, Bishop Wendell Bernard Sumter. Above all, our ministry continues
to do what it takes to reach the lost at any cost by offering an
interactive web site featuring audible sermons by our Pastor; the airing
of our High Time Radio Broadcast and partnering with other churches,
the school districts and businesses to provide outreach projects that
meet the varied needs of our community
Lastly, although we've been
showered with many material blessings, our greatest asset is a temple
filled with the presence of the Lord. Our church has been abundantly
blessed individually and collectively, because we are fully persuaded
that with God all things are possible. No one knows what the future
holds, but we are pressing forward toward the prize of our high calling
in Christ Jesus endeavoring to reach, teach and equip others to become
effective, purpose-driven and dedicated Kingdom Builders.